To be honest, 2018 did not go as planned. 2017 injuries still lingering, business travel, a new injury, and a handful of other time suckers, I did not toe the line in a single event. But that’s alright and one of the reasons I love the fall and early winter. It gives me a chance to start scouring through event calendars and blogs to try and plan out next year.
In winter, I plot and plan. In spring, I move.
– Henry Rollins
The year wasn’t all bad and I don’t just want to focus on the things that weren’t completed. Semi-Rad proposed a way to look back at 2018 and write your own ending for it. Not focusing on only the negative things that happened or things you didn’t do. Instead think back to the this things that happened. So here it goes.
My top 5 memories from 2018:
- Swimming in La Jolla when the bottom transitions from the rocky bottom to that beautiful deep blue. Then stopping at the half-mile buoy getting ready to turn around and seeing all of the water surrounding me.
- Trail running in Montana and coming up to a clearing overlooking the town to catch the sunrise peak through the clouds
- Trail running with Stella just outside of Washington DC and not seeing another person for almost two hours
- Meeting am old friend and making a new one on a long Christmas Eve ride
- Coming home after any trip to have the dogs “greet” me in the front hallway
I am excited for 2019 and all of the opportunities it holds for events, new experiences, and new friends that may cross my paths. Have a Happy New Year and I hope to see you out there.